In-Store Shopper Moments You Can Feel
When I was eight years old, I was on television. It seemed that my science experiment proving that plants needed sunlight to live was breakthrough; more than enough to earn me a spot on a popular local science program.
I killed it. Not the plant (sunlight, duh). I killed it on camera. Charismatic, telegenic, witty and wielding bantering skills that belied my tender age – I was a hit.
And I knew it. So it made perfect sense for me to ask to borrow our chaperone’s giant sunglasses to wear not only upon my exit from the studio, but also for my triumphant return to the classroom.
To this day, I replay that scenario every single time I try on sunglasses. It’s a fond memory (except for having to face the philistine critics at recess). It is a moment that makes me smile and reminds me of who I am and why.
That’s lot of backstory to wring out of a pair of shades, but that’s how moments work. They are powerful and visceral, transformative and personal. Moments become symbolic, resonating with and changing a person.
Small wonder then that the in-store shopper moment has usurped the experience when it comes to shopper interaction.
I have written quite a bit about the Rise of the In-Store Shopper Moment. A step beyond customer experience, the In-Store Shopper Moment speaks not to the size of the interaction, but to its depth, reach, poetry and emotional wallop. An experience is something one goes through; a moment is lived, savored and relived.
A retail marketing moment might be tiny (an alert on a smartphone) or grand (a pop-up VIP fashion show); size doesn’t matter. What matters is the genuine connection it creates between the shopper and the brand.
The retail marketer must now create In-Store Shopper Moments. It’s a challenge, this new need to awaken authentic feelings in a shopper. Step one is to fully understand the heart and soul of the Moment. And the best way to do that is to explore some of your own – and connect with how they make you feel.
Below are 55 life moments. How does each make you feel? Remember the feeling, because it will be a catalyst when fashioning meaningful Shopper Moments.
- Birth of a child
- Getting married
- Winning an award
- Getting engaged
- Taking a road trip
- Discovering a new favorite food
- A first stadium concert
- Driving alone for the first time
- Celebrating an anniversary
- Leaving home
- Standing up to a bully
- Seeing a parent cry
- First time hearing your own voice
- Committing a random act of kindness
- Earning a round of applause
- Class reunion
- Starting at a new school
- Delivering a eulogy
- First night at sleep away camp
- Reading your old diary
- Seeing your parent kiss
- The first time you stayed up all night talking
- Meeting a hero
- Being disappointed at meeting a hero
- Finding a love note in your locker
- First boy – girl party
- First visit from the tooth fairy
- Telling your first lie
- When the gift you picked out is a huge hit
- Getting hired
- Getting fired
- Saving a life
- The day they take your training wheels off
- When you learned to laugh at yourself
- Trying on a wedding dress
- Buying a dream home
- Recovering from a heartbreak
- Jumping off the high dive
- Sneaking into your first R-rated movie
- Seeing your baby graduate
- Losing fair and square
- Using your passport for the first time
- Understanding a work of art
- Laughing alone in public
- First sight of the ocean
- Regretting a one-night stand
- Walking down the aisle
- Adopting a pet
- Your first cup of coffee
- Wearing a costume as a grown-up
- Your first video to go viral
- Getting a tattoo
- Removing a tattoo
- Receiving a compliment from a stranger